Pages

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

RUN KATIE RUN....okay.

I have never been a runner. I don't know how I feel about running but today I ran. I usually do the Arc Trainer for 30 minutes then do some strength training. Today, I strayed from the usual. I got on the treadmill and walked for 10 minutes and ran for another 6 minutes and 11 seconds. That's how long my mile is as of today. I walked/ran my first mile in 16:11. I don't think I actually timed myself on a mile since high school and that was a joke. On the Arc Trainer, I usually complete "1.51 miles" in 30 minutes. Of course, I don't really believe that. I think it's less than that. I like how I felt while I was running. It felt good and I felt like I was accomplishing something. My friend Julia said she wanted to run with me and I told her she needed to teach me how to run. I feel like there's a technique to running and I probably don't have the right one. I got a LOT of fat on me so there's a lot moving on my body as I run but it was sort of a high. I've been reading about how to training to for a 5 ks and I see that you should run/walk in intervals. I'm not coordinated enough to do that with a treadmill. My plan is to walk for 10 minutes and run for 5 for one full week. I would like to then move it to 9 minutes walk/6 minutes run and continue the pattern. I like to imagine I'm Forest Gump and those hillbillies are running after me. It makes me laugh and makes want to run. So here's go nottthhhiinnng.

I've also changed my eating habits. I eat 3 meals a day with 2 small snacks in the middle of the those meals. These meals are not just one thing. I incorporate veggies or fruits with my main course. This helps boast the metabolism. I'm trying to eat every 2-3 hours. This is so important because I won't over eat when I do sit down to each meal. I used to SAY I ate 3 meals a day which is total bull shit. I ate 3 meals a day with snacks, snacks, snacks and over ate a lot. Yes I'm hungry but I'm always hungry. My body is used to more calories and more crap. I make sure to drink 64 oz of water everyday using my water bottle. It's the small things that help you manage your eating.

3 comments:

  1. Get this book... It teaches you how to go from 30 minutes of walking to 30 minutes of running. I've been reading it and I really like it:

    Run Your Butt Off by Sarah Butler (and some other people)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you looked at Couch to 5k? I hear it works, but again it is like a 4 minute run/1 minute walk type of thing - sounds crazy to me. I have pretty much given up ever being a "runner" in my life, unless y'know... I am being chased :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wooohooo!!! So excited that you're running!!! :D Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete