Pages

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

I've seen the Light.

That's Cooking Light. I was extremely frustrated with the taste and directions by the Weight Watchers App. Their recipes are not as tasteful as I wished. I want food that is tasty but health. Their motto is "Making healthy taste great." I was inspired to check out Cooking Light by my friend Kait. Her blog (I Can Cook That) is about cooking for yourself and she uses TONS of recipes from that website. I downloaded the Cooking Light App and began to build my menu. I am also trying to stay away from red meat so I decided to go with shrimp. If you have ever deveined a shrimp...you understand the carnage that as on my counter. I decided to go with a Shrimp and Sausage Stew.

Ingredients

2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 cup thinly sliced turkey smoked sausage (about 6 ounces)
1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
3/4 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained (such as Rotel)
8 ounces peeled and deveined medium shrimp
1 (15-ounce) can organic kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

 I used SWEET Italian sausage and I used diced tomatoes with SWEET ONIONS. I did this only because of availability. I bought fresh white shrimp from Florida and local grown bell pepper. I am making an effort to buy locally grown produce. I'm not perfect but I'm working on it.


Directions

Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add bell pepper, sausage, and garlic to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until bell pepper is tender, stirring occasionally. Add broth and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Stir in shrimp and beans; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 6 minutes or until shrimp are done. Sprinkle with parsley.

This was INSANELY delicious. You can add whatever spices you want to add. In fact, I say don't. I think it had plenty of flavor but obviously it's your tastes. You can add any Creole seasoning which would really spice it up.

One serving of this is 5 points. Here are the nutritional facts.

Calories: 191
Fat: 6g
Saturated fat: 1.7g
Monounsaturated fat: 2.7g
Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
Protein: 21.3g
Carbohydrate: 13.2g
Fiber: 3.5g

Make your healthy taste great people. You don't have to sacrifice everything. You can eat well and have taste too.

No comments:

Post a Comment